“Join me on a photo expedition to Zimbabwe and magical Mana Pools. Lets leave the hectic everyday life and together explore this untamed part of Africa by foot. You´ll come to appreciate Mana Pools immense beauty and leave it with stories you never thought possible.”
This photo expedition will take you to Mana Pools National Park on the edge of the Zambezi in northern Zimbabwe. Mana Pools National Park is synonymous with the Zambezi River, Elephants, Lions, remoteness, wilderness and plenty of game.
This unique park is a WORLD HERITAGE SITE, since 1984, and you will find a wide range of large mammals and over 350 bird species inside the park. Mana Pools is renowned as one of the very best locations in Africa for walking safari. It is also possible to canoe on the river, which is a great way to see this rift valley.
Mana Pools is famous for its four main pools (after which the Park is named: ‘mana’ means ‘four’ in Shona) – Long, Green, Chisasiko and Chineni. These pools were once part of channels whose flow has long since ceased. They are still full of water for most parts of the year attracting animals even during dry periods.
It is a wild and beautiful park with a scenery centered on the mighty Zambezi River. As you get nearer the Zambezi the vegetation changes from the forests on the Karoo sediments to open albida woodlands on the old river terraces. The towering trees in the albida woodlands create a distinct cathedral-like athomsphere beneath the wooded canopy. The surreal light in these woods are a photographers dream and the openness of the area makes it suitable for game walks because of the good visibility.
We meet at the airport around lunchtime before departing towards the hotel or lodge. We will have two nights out of the park, one each on the way back and forth to the airport. Our safari operator will meet us outside the park before they transports us to the prepared tented camp inside the park, the base for our explorations of Mana Pools unspoilt wilderness.
The camp can accommodate up to 12 guests in Walk-in tents with en-suite ablutions. It runs with the concept of an authentic wilderness experience and has no permanent fixtures therefore leaving a minimal footprint. Each tent has two comfortable beds fitted with linen, two bedside drawers, and two chairs for afternoon relaxing. Ablutions are flushing toilets, bucket shower’s and hand washbasin are also provided. The camp staff will service your tent each day and laundry can be done in camp. Lighting is via 12 V lamps or paraffin lamps. There is an inverter system in camp so one can charge batteries for cameras and laptops. This is a camp setup with photographers in mind.
The program is not set in stone as nature can’t be predicted. Our prime target will be the endangered Painted dog together with the iconic animals as Elephant, Leopard, Lion and Buffalo. The main focus is to work with the animals we find and not stress from place to place because quality is better than quantity.
* The expedition is fixed at maximum 5 participants
* We have the option of game walks, game drives and canoeing
* We use knowledgeable guides that has worked many years in Zimbabwe
* Photographers of ALL levels are welcome
* We live in walk-in tents with en-suite, flush toilets
* We will be out in the field as much as possible. That is where the classroom is
* There will be a possibility to review images in camp, but electricity is limited
* Meet Mana Pools unique bull Elephants
* Live along the banks of the game rich Zambezi river
* Mana Pools is renowned to offer some of the best game viewing in Africa
* Experience the clear unpolluted night skies
* Explore Mana Pools by foot
* See wildlife up close
* Meet the endangered Painted dog whom thrive in Mana Pools
* Experience Mana Pools from land and possibly water
The expedition is planned together with a safari operator in Zimbabwe
* 7 night in Mana Pools
* 3 night at a lodge/hotel out of Mana Pools at B&B basis
* Transfer from and to the International Airport by ground transportation
* All meals on the safari nights as indicated on the itinerary
* All park fees and camping fees, subject to Park fee increase
* Professional guide services in Zimbabwe
* Photography by boat on the Zambezi
* All extras such as telephone calls/curio shopping/postage and so forth
* Personal spending
* International flights & taxes
* Visas if required, please check with your consulate or consultant
* Travel and medical insurance
* Any activities not included in the itinerary
* Any meals or drinks not specified
* Errors and Omissions
The cost for this photo expedition is $4500 per person (exclusive International flights). The same rate applies for each participant regardless of whether they are doing photography, or not. This fee includes all ground transportations as well as accommodation (double occupancy) and the meals specified in the itinerary.
Do not hesitate to contact me for more info on this adventure of a bygone Era.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.