“The Lake Kerkini tour has the aim of mainly capturing photos of the Dalmatian Pelican in breeding plumage. Lake Kerkini in Greece is one of the best places to work with this bird with an attitude.”
The winter tour will take us to Lake Kerkini in Greece. Lake Kerkini is an artifical water reservoir that has become one of the premium sites for bird photography in Greece. It is situated along the flyway for migratory birds en route to the Aegean Sea, the Balkan region, the Black Sea and the Hungarian steppes, Puszta. Our three days in the Lake Kerkini area will give us ample time to work with the Dalmatian Pelicans and other birds of interest.
We will meet at the airport in Sofia where we will be picked up by our local guide who will drive us to the accommodation in the Lake Kerkini area, approximately a three and half hours’ drive. We will stay there for three nights before we are transferred back to Sofia.
A normal Lake Kerkini morning starts with breakfast at the local restaurant. We want to be at the lake before sunrise which means we leave the hotel by car at 7 am. It is just a short ride to the boat launch site from where we stay, around two minutes. We will work from the shore during one of the mornings before we head out with the boat. In total, we will have three morning sessions at Lake Kerkini and we use the boat at each.
The length of the morning session is weather dependent. We try to stay out for as long as possible, but if the light is hard, then we go back to the hotel around 11 am at the latest. I would say a normal session is between 2.5 – 3 hour, but if it is cloudy, then we will stay out longer a little longer.
We then have lunch and siesta before we head back to Lake Kerkini for the afternoon session at around 4 pm. It normally means another 1h30 minutes at the lake most of it spent out in the boat. We will do two afternoon sessions like this and use the boat at each.
Back to the hotel to freshen up before the dinner around 7:30 or 8 pm.
It will be intense days with many photo opportunities. Most often you will take more photos than you think, especially the first day. Therefore, it is paramount to go through your material during the spare time. We have every opportunity to discuss the day and speak about your material during the dinner if you like.
Five sessions in total and each time also in boat on the lake. We try to maximize the time spent with the birds and work with the light at hand.
* This tour means outdoor photography
* We will use a boat, photo from the shore and maybe use portable hides during the days in Greece
* The photo tour is set at three to four people, excluding me
* We use a knowledgeable guide that has worked many years in the area
* Photographers of ALL levels are welcome
* We will be out in the field as much as possible. That is where the classroom is
* There will be a possibility to review images at the accommodation
* The impressive landscape as a backdrop in the pictures
* The different colors of the Dalmatian Pelicans breeding plumage
* How close to the boat the Dalmatian Pelican will be
* Dalmatian Pelicans flying by the boat
* See the difference between a Great White Pelican and a Dalmatian Pelican
* The possibility to witness a feeding frenzy with Cormorants and Pelicans
* The different water birds at Lake Kerkini
* A nice bonus if there still is snow on the mountain tops
* Accommodation for 3 nights, double occupancy, at a local hotel
* Transfer from and to Sofia International Airport
* All meals on the photo tour
* Use of boat and portable hides
* All national park fees
* Professional guide services in Greece
* All road transfers in Greece and Bulgaria
* All extras such as telephone calls/curio shopping/postage and so forth
* Personal spending
* International flights & taxes
* Visas if required for Bulgaria or Greece, please check with your consulate or consultant
* Travel and medical insurance
* Any activities not included in the itinerary
* Alcoholic beverage
* Errors and Omissions
The cost for the Winter Tour to Lake Kerkini in Greece is €1135 per person (exclusive International flights). Upon registration a 25% deposit must be made directly to my partner to confirm the booking and the balance should be paid no less than 30 days before the tour starts. The fee includes all in-country ground transportation as well as accommodation (double occupancy), guide services and the meals specified in the itinerary. Single occupancy is €60 extra.
Do not hesitate to contact me for more info on this Winter Tour to Greece.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.